Sunday, July 10, 2005

What do you do when you miss someone and can't get in touch with them?

...You whine about it in your blog. I have so many friends who I am no longer in contact with, many due to my own negligence. This is really stupid, but it seems to be the one mistake I can't learn from. I had lots of friends in high school. I talk to none of them anymore. I kept in touch with a couple for a few years after high school and then decided that I had "outgrown" them.

Then I have others who I would see now and again, get their contact info, and forget to call them for months which turned into years by which point I had lost thier contact info. I miss every last one of them. There are some that I really think "wow, they would totally fit in with the crowd I hang out with now." Some totally wouldn't, but who says all of my friends have to hang out together.

In college I made a geniune attempt to keep in touch with one of my friends, and we did for a while. But then she changed emails and I moved out of the house I was in all at once. She promised to send me snail mail, but I don't know if she did because the person who lived in that house didn't forward all of my mail to me (asshole).

More recently as I changed jobs, etc. I have had opportunities to keept in contact with people. I have even made the effort to make sure to exchange contact information, but I never call them. I always say I'm going to, and I always mean it when I say it. However, when I think about calling them it's the middle of the day when we're both at work and then I forget about it for a couple of weeks. I repeat this sad process until somehow a year has passed and I'm not even sure if the person would remmeber who the hell I was anymore.

Now, we come to another test of my abilities. I have just moved a four days drive away from the whole fucking world, or so it would seem. So far, I have been okay about emailing, im'ing and calling old acquaintances. Maybe this time I can make it stick a little.

To all of you out there who think they've been forgotten by me or who may end up thinking that in the near future: Just know that I remember every last one of you and I miss you all. If only you could see this blog *sigh*.

No comments: