Friday, July 29, 2005

Wake up

There's something so positive and glowy and awesome about watching them wake up the shuttle crew. I think space travel is awesomeness, even though I couldn't understand it if I tried. Aside from that, the wake up call is just plain neato because they always play a song and congratulate somebody on something and then the astronauts say "thank you" and everyone is happy. It's just an all around positive thing that happens every day during what must be one of the most physically and mentally difficult jobs out there. They work their assess off all day and night, and then the next morning, they get woken up with a song they like and a nice southern lady saying "good morning discovery". And then they go back to work immediately as she gives them their notes for the next couple hours.

I wish my mornings were like that. A nice happy shiny song, and I hop out of bed and am ready to work within 2 minutes! But my mornings go more like this: Whitey's alarm goes off at 7:00. Five minutes before whitey leaves at 7:50, I realize that I need to get my ass out of bed because I have a meeting at 8:30. I find some clothes, pull my hair back, eat some cereal and make it to the meeting 10 minutes late where I am barely awake enough to comprehend what's going on... And sure as hell no one congratulates me on nothing.

I guess we can add astronaut to the list of things I want to be when I grow up

No comments: