Saturday, July 30, 2005

Crisis mode

As you probably know, in my job, I sometimes have to deal with crises. It ranges from "my tooth hurts and I need to go to the dentist now" to "I'm running out of medication today and I forgot to tell you until now" to "I'm upset (and have a history of suicide attempts)". The other night after I spent some crisis time with a client, I was wondering what the hell was wrong with me because, it's not like that's the first time I've dealt with a client in crisis, but I was shaking and I swear my brain took a vacation to Aruba or something. I have been really concerned about this because it's a problem to be panicked during a crisis at all. It makes it difficult to make a decision without someone else telling you what to do. Being branded as someone who can't make decisions isn't the thing you want to be in a field like social work.
So, I have been pondering the problem and what to do about it and was feeling pretty concerned. Until I saw a large bug in my house. I was shaking (and still feel a little unsteady 20 minutes later) and figuring out what to do took every ounce of concentration that I had. I was twice as bad over this stupid bug in my house than I was any crisis I've ever faced with a client.

The situation with the bug made me realize that I am too goddamn panicky, but at least I remain much calmer in situations where a clear head is needed.

No comments: