Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Who are you and what have you done with my mother?

My mother is awesome and has always been awesome. She has a her quirks, like talking too much and being overprotective, but she's always been supportive of me even if what I do isn't her cup of tea. Up until recently, a lot of what I did was not her her cup of tea. She's always been compassionate, so she has no problems with me being a social worker, donating to charity, etc. She started me in dance classes and she even started taking when I was in high school. But mom was never a very "girly" woman. She wasn't a tomboy and didn't go out of her way to look manly, but there was only so much frilliness and decoration she would tolerate. She always wore makeup, but she would never wear much jewelry, and half the time she bought things they would just sit in the jewelry box until she gave them away three years later.
At my cousin's wedding she went to a "girl's day at the spa" with my cousin's fiance and some of my aunts where she got a haircut, massage, manicure and pedicure. When she got home she started talking about buying nail polish and earrings. I'm sure that my expression at the moment I heard this could've been described as nothing but odd and very humorous. This expression was nothing compared to the look I had on my face just now. There's no other way to explain why than to paste the email I just got from my mother:

"
What kind or face paint would you use for a butterfly costume- That is what I am for Halloween- Was going to make wings myself- but found cool ones in party city-they also have purple Fairy wings!"

My mother, who has never done anything fancy in her life unless it was for me, has chosen to be a butterfly for Halloween. This leaves me with only one question: What universe were the aliens that abducted my real mother from?

No comments: