Tuesday, September 6, 2005

following the rules really hurts sometimes

I have always been a very "lawful good" type of person. I play things by the book as much as possible and I generally feel guilty if I don't. When I was younger, I was also always the one in the group who tattled on everyone (myself included). This is generally a good thing because in my career, you really have to try to go by the book if you want to keep your job and if you want the workplace to be able to keep thier funding. Sometimes this becomes a burden, and sometimes it's a downright pain in the ass.

I have a client, who I am really rooting for and who I really want to do well. She broke a rule. I wanted to ignore it, but there was no way that I could. If anything happened as a result of the broken rule and I hadn't notified anyone, I would've gotten in trouble and possibly in jail. So, I told on her and she was furious with me. I was practically to the point of tears over the fact that I had to say something and she was yelling at me about how unfair I was being and about how everything was my fault. I don't blame her for being upset because 1. I would have too and 2. She has issues that prevent her from seeing things clearly. But nonetheless, the whole situation sucked.

Sometimes I really wish I wasn't bound by a code of ethics and I weren't so damn "lawful good". It would sure as fuck make life easier on occasion.

No comments: