Monday, February 25, 2008

yes, i'm sure, i don't want us to be parents

recently i've been getting asked about having kids a lot and when i say i no and explain why i hear :but you guys owuld be great parents." Sure, we both are smarter than the average bear, and i was raised in a pre-school and a good portion of my college time was spent on child development, and i've worked in day cares, but I would be a terrible mom. There are only so many times i can be woken up by a screaming baby, told "go do it now" by a two year old, or listen to a 6 year old incessantly whining about how the girl in the class that they were best friends with yesterday said something about my kid's hair and now my kids hates her, before I fucking backhand them through a window. Interactions with children in daycare are time limited and they involve me getting money. Interactions with my own children never fucking end and I sure as fuck don't get any money in return for it. If I hate having a dog as much as i do solely because he interrupts my shit, then I don't see how me having a kid is an improvement on this.
For me, having a kid would be like leaving work and then coming home to a harder job. I would lose my mind within three months. And i don't mean the cute kind of "lose my mind" where i storm out and call a couple people fuckfaces and then walk back in an hour or a day later and everything is okay. I mean the kind where I throw something on a regular basis for a month or two and then end up in a psychiatric ward somewhere for something.
Contrary to popular belief, just because I can pretend to be mentally stable long enough to take care of other people's kids, doesn't mean I am.
Working in daycare or social services is extrememly stressful and the only way i can get through it is that I go home at night and listen to music that has nothing to do with children and watch shows about doctors who make buttsex jokes and go do whatever the hell I want with no detours or interruptions (save the dog). The thing you learn in jobs like this is that you can't "bring your work home" with you.
If I were a parent, the work would be fucking waiting for me.
BLeah.

No comments: