Thursday, October 19, 2006

General Update

We are getting closer to the move and I am getting closer to my last day at work. Friday will be my last day at the best job I've ever had.
I'm a little less glad to go now because the bosses did some damage control on the whole "letting a therapist go early" thing, and they couldn't tell us what happened, but they kind of implied enough that we figured it out. If what they're hinting at is correct, she had some of her clients sign a release to her new private practice and then proceeded to use our company equipment to copy our company files. Not quite the way you should do things.
It's not so much the issue of her stealing clients. There is some viability in the idea of the client maintaining the relationship with the therapist. They would have to start all over again learning to trust someone and telling them everything all over again.
So, the new boss dude said that maintaining a therapy relationship was a good thing, but the way described above was not the way to handle it. You should wait until you open the new practice, then get the person to sign documents, then ask the agency for files. Doing it the other way is.... well #1 it's doing work for your private business with agency equipment and #2 It's kind of like if one of our clients was transferring to a new agency and the workers from that agency just walked in our file room and started copying. Definitely not okay.
Assuming they're hinting at the right thing, I can understand why they might feel the need to terminate immediately as this is a huge ethics concern.
I also, don't care personally what she did, I want to see her again before I go. So, I decided to throw a party for her next week at my house. The difference between this idea and the idea that I had last week, is that my focus is on her and not both of us.... Although, the staff have decided that this is going to be the goodbye gathering for both of us. Works for me ;)
In other news, I have a promising lead for a job in birmingham that sounds like it's something I actually could be happy doing (amazingly) and pays well and has good benefits. It sounds like it's a program where I will be working to prevent disruption of families or to reunify families that has short term foster care built into the program in case the kids do need to come into care for a while. They said there is a big emphasis on short term foster care and on achieving permanency (be it in the home or in an adoptive home) as quickly as possible.
And finally, our son, the amazingest dog ever, has learned his newest trick: "crawl".
It'll be great in a couple of weeks when we get on the road and he forgets every trick he knows except "hide from the parents, refuse to do what they want because I hate new things, and possibly pee in inappropriate places". Moving a dog cross country is daunting. Moving a sillyhead who hates new things but likes anything he has a chance to warm up to is going to be an exercise in creativity and patience.

No comments: