Saturday, June 10, 2006

it's been 8 long years...

Like a typicial college kid, i ate alot of ice cream and french fries and hamburgers and egg rolls. This extended into young adulthood when I had even more of a selection of decadent and yummy food and society's normal sense that faster is better, even when it comes to eating. At some point, this ended up with me being 250 pounds. I gradually meandered my way down to 195 through a combination of exercise and medecine (not weight loss medecine, but a side effect is weight loss). I meandered my way back up to 215 pounds through changes in jobs and a fondness for the m&m jar that used to sit on the desk next to mine in birmingham.

Let's back up a little bit...
My aunt has always had a fondness for buying me clothes. Every couple of years, she would take me shopping and buy me extravagant amounts of clothing that I picked out. One year, I picked out several rather cool things including a patchwork broomstick skirt, a tie-dye jimi hendrix shirt and a short and sassy black dress with orange flowers all over it. This dress has stuck with me through all the weight changes and all the new lives and new jobs... in the closet. I was no longer able to wear the dress at about the age of 20, but i stuck it in storage and said "i will wear this again." Through the years, my mother gave away other clothing that i had "outgrown" because of my fondness for chocolate to people who needed it, but I made her promise never to give away this dress. Every couple of years, i would think to myself "you know, this dress is still in the closet, and I'm not any closer to my goal... maybe it should go" but I always decided I wasn't ready to let go. This december I had almost given up hope because after going from a size 22 to an 18 a year and a half prior, I was back up into a 20 mainly due to my love of the incredible food at disney.

So, I started going to weight watcher's. A couple of weeks ago, I realized that I was halfway to my final weight goal and had barely lost a full size. I am in an 18 and the dress is a 14. If I lost 30 pounds and barely went down a full size, then it would make sense that another 30 pounds would be another size at best. So, i had to sit with the realization that my dress may never fit again and I may have to finally drop it in a trash bag and take it to the thrift store.
One morning after trying on something almost brand new only to find it was too big already (thank god for thrift stores when you're losing weight), I grabbed the dress and said "I know this won't fit, but I haven't tried it on in a couple of months."
So I tried it on and it fucking fit. My eyes teared up and I danced around the bathroom at 7:00 in the morning like a moron. After EIGHT fucking years, it fits MOTHERFUCKER!

No comments: