Wednesday, June 29, 2005

What I want to do when I grow up

I keep trying to convince myself that If I sing along with the Dresden Dolls CD's enough, I will eventually be able to sing like Amanda palmer. When I realize that this isn't working, I become heartbroken, and to console myself, I plan my career as a concept designer for music videos. I really do have fabulous ideas... For songs that will never be singles because, if for no other reason, you cannot say "fuck I'd give you anything if you could make the damn thing work" or "so you can make me come, it doesn't make you Jesus" on MTV. But I still obsessively play the songs over and over and synch up images in my head, and come up with all these great ideas and grin at all the imaginary thanks I receive from the musicians that I only know in my head.

When I'm not obessively playing songs over and over to plot out music videos, I also will play songs over and over obsessively to come up with my awsome choreography which I am absolutely sure will blow everyone's minds... If they ever see it. This dream is actually a little less off the mark, because I am a dancer, and I do know how to choreograph. However this does no good when you have no company, no studio affiliation, and no way to pay for theater space (but who would want to see a show of all solos with the same person anyways).

The easy solution for this would seem to be to go get a job at a dance studio. But I cant do this easily, because I am a social worker. Being a social worker often requires a flexible schedule, which often does not work with something with a fixed schedule, like dance classes. But if I don't so social work, no one would be around to cure the ills of the world! OR... More accurately, I would have a full time job I didn't love. Dance is generally not full time, and even if it was, I'd probably be happier in social work. But, it doesn't always leave time for my dance career, my career as a jeweler, my hobby of silhouetting, my pilates classes, and the belly dance, piano and art classes that I would like to take.

If I tried to do all of this, I would drive myself insane, because of the current number of hours in the day, the level of stress that any human body can handle, and the brain capacity that I was given. So, what I want to do when I grow up is invent a way to increase the number of hours in a day, double the brain capactity of humans, make the heart more resilient, and give myself a couple extra sets of arms, so that while I am playing the piano and choreographing at the same time, I also have time to do my notes on the poor kid whose severe ADHD has given him such a reputation that the school will never accept him as smart and well behaved, even if he got every question on every test right, and sat still and quiet for the rest of his life. When I make this amazing discovery, I will be awarded the Nobel science prize, and bosses everywhere will thank me for the increase in productivity.




Oh...
But I'm not a scientist.

No comments: