Thursday, March 26, 2009

tv (possible spoilers for BSG, Dollhouse and Breaking Bad)

I guess I should post something about all the geek TV that's been getting lots of blog space:

Battle Star Galactica Finale: Loved it. Ron Moore pretty much said that Hendrix is God and we should all live like Hippies. How can I disagree with that? ;)

Dollhouse: Okay, I shall remove my tongue from my cheek for this one. This show has tremendous potential, but I don't think it's living up to it. There's lots of reasons. For one, Some of the conflict was introduced too early. I didn't give a shit about a Helo... err Paul Ballard until the 6th episode, and really I'm still only mildly interested. I think if they had waited to introduce him, I might care. Another example is this whoel thing with "alpha". Again, I just barely met echo and I don't really know what she's all about. Why did this story start in like 2nd or 3rd episode. I think they needed to establish parameters of the dolhouse and the dolls and the handlers and the staff, and THEN introduce terrible accidents. I have no frame of reference for this place because it's not real or a widely known fantasy sci-fi concept and they keep changing it. Establish what it is and what the dynamics are first, THEN change it.

Another thing that bugs me is that some of the characters are... crappy. In fact, they're all a little shallow at this point, but that is slowly coming along... Topher, however, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, run away, go get a gun and shoot themselves. He is so obviously a "type" that they had in thier mind and the actor didn't seem to develop him any past "he's a geeky genius, but he should say cool things because we want to appeal to the teens". Honestly, the only actor i've seen pull this kind of thing off is Seth Green, and oddly, the actor who plays Topher looks like an uglier, younger, skinnier version of Seth Green. So since they didn't have Seth Green, they should have made topher into a normal cool geek like me or my husband or any of my friends.
As far as characters, everyone else, except the dolls, and maybe the doctor still seem kind of one dimensional. I find it interesting that I mentioned the doctor there because they have told us almost nothing about her. However, there's a little bit of depth added to her with the scars, and the fact that she is not very forthcoming with her history, or anything.

Another complaint is that so far, they have been kind of transparent with the plot. Who didn't know in the first episode that Mellie was in some way working for the Dollhouse. I thought she was a normal citizen informant and/or employee and not an active doll, but my husband and I both knew about halfway through the first episode that she was keeping an eye on ballard for the dollhouse. Of course, I can't think of other examples, but there are more. They practically lead us with a leash right to the "plot twists". I hope this stops soon.

I wonder if Joss and the other creators don't know which crowd they're going for. Here's a hint for you: think firefly and not buffy. I know there was a fair bit of crossover in the two audiences, but there were a LOT of people who watched buffy who would never be caught dead watching firefly. This is a geeky show with a lot of grown-up themes, not a show about a hot chick who kicks ass... oh wait. I guess it's a little of both, but I think it's more on the geek and grownup side of things, and i think the creators are insulting us so far by making things so transparent.

That said, I like the concept, and the 6th episode was definitely better than the rest, just like Eliza said it would be. I haven't stopped watching yet, which is more than I can say for Heroes.


Breaking Bad:
Oh my FUCKING god. I have never seen a TV show like this. They make it a lot like they would an indy film as opposed to an episodic drama. Don't get me wrong, each episode has a beginning middle and end-- you don't go away from it feeling like it was incomplete -- but it never has a neat little bow. This show is absolutely brilliant.
Lemme stop gushing and explain the show and explain what I like.

In the first episode we meet Walt. Walt is a high school chemistry teacher, husband, father to a disabled teen and his wife is expecting a baby soon. Walt is soft spoken, works two jobs, and pretty much does whatever he's asked. One day we see him about hacking up a lung during the extra shift he is working at the carwash because someone didn't show up. Walt goes to the doctor who says "you have advanced lung cancer and not very long to live." Walt does what anyone would do... well, sort of. Walt has a mid-life crisis of sorts. The thing about Walt's midlife crisis is that it involves going on a ride-along with his brother-in-law who works for the DEA and then deciding, based on that, that he wants to hook up with one of his old drop-out students and cook meth. Yes.

What I like about is that I am always "with" Walt. They write it in such a way that you really get where he's coming from. You don't always agree with him, and you're not always sure you like him, but you get it. Which touches on another thing I really like. The characters are written in such a way that you don't always love them or always hate them. They're human and they're trying to get through life, and Walt's illness, the best way they know how. Which isn't always the best way... for anyone involved.

The production values and editing on this show are solid. In fact, the editing actually makes a huge difference. Like I said, this looks and feels more like an indy film than a TV series. I've felt that way since the first episode, but this season has been insane with the artistry and unconventionality. We haven't watched the third episode yet, and I hear it's even better than the first two. It's hard to believe that's even possible, but then again, I wouldn't have believed that it could get any better than first season and second season has seriously raised the bar.

The story is really compelling. They haven't done a ton of character development (I'm pretty sure that's intentional... I think there are some things we aren't supposed to know yet), but they've done enough that you care about what's going on, and I often find myself leaning forward on the edge of my seat... for a TV show. This is new. Tears for a TV show? sure. Calling the writers assholes and pouting for several minutes because of a cliffhanger or an unfortunate event? sure. Edge of my seat, biting my fingernails, holding my breath? Not for a TV show--Not before Breaking Bad.

Somehow they have managed to keep the plot surprising without the "oooh plot twist" factor, and keep you interested in a guy who's basically lost his mind and done about the most foolish thing he could possibly have done.

This show is nothing short of brilliant, and I don't care how much TV you're watching; drop something else if you have to, but watch this show. If you're not hooked from the first episode, I'll be amazed.

No comments: