Monday, November 13, 2006

random fucking update

So um... let's see the last time I updated it was to tell you about the trip down.
Since then, I had an interview for a job in birmingham that sounds fucking cool. I would be working with families to help them stay together or to reunify them with their kids. It would be very high intensity, short term work. I love this idea. I don't know that I made them love me as much as i love this idea, but what's done is done. I did feel slightly better after I wrote my thank you letter as it was able to clarify some points that I managed to muddy up during the interview, without sounding too much like I was trying to correct mistakes. They said that they would be letting people know within the next 2 weeks and that "the chosen ones" probably wouldn't be starting until around the first of december. So, the job search continues. I'm looking at things in both the birmingham and huntsville areas.

Saturday I set up at a free artists market here at flying monkey. Since it was cold not very many artists or customers showed up, but a few of the regulars came and said it sometimes gets really busy. I did manage to sell a pair of earrings and have someone offer to share thier rental booth space with me. Flying monkey has a bunch of fenced off areas that artists and local small business people can rent and use as studios, sales fronts or both. It's in an old fucking run down mill building, but it's an incredible raw space and the art, booths, etc. that are in there so far are really cool. It's also interesting because it's not designed to be particularly family friendly--there's alot of raw expression including nudity and curse words, but huntsville is generally a family friendly place. If we end up staying in Huntsville for very long, I might get involved with this place. I really like what they're trying to do.

Saturday was also the "big" celebration of my birthday. We went to my parents house for dinner prepared by mom with a menu selected by me. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, rolls and chocolate cake. I atcually did well on the diet that day--except the chocolate cake. Ahboo got to meet my parents' dog, widget, for the first time. This is also the first time he's met a dog on "their" turf. It was interesting to see because widget put him in his place a few times and she's half his size.

Sunday we unloaded the truck. The WHOLE goddamn thing. My dad and whitey's mother and her neighbor and whitey and I all worked for about 3 hours and got everything off the truck. We still have a couple boxes to bring in from the garage, but, hallelujia, it's off the damn truck.
Sunday was a smaller celebration of my birthday--Chris, his mother and I went to applebees and then Chris and I went to bruster's. I love thier lowfat, low sugar ice cream--it tastes like the regular stuff to me.

Today, my mom took me to fill out an application at her daycare. They originally told her to just have me fill out the app but that they didn't know if they would have work for me or not. This afternoon they told me that once I got all my paperwork and stuff turned in, I could start working 12-5:30 in the infant room. Tonight my mother called and said "um, yeah they need you at 10 am tomorrow. She said to just get your paperwork in as soon as you can."
I am overjoyed that I have a way to make money and that it does not involve angry customers. I am a little fearful because I have not worked in daycare in a long time and I don't rmember being spectacular at it when I did before. I am also a little disappointed because I was looking forward to spending a couple weeks with no schedule and nothing to do. However, if I spend too long that way, I get fussy and bored, to say the least. So, I guess it's a good thing that I have something to help me feel productive, even if it does involve stress, screaming children and cleaning up puke.

I entered a couple of recipes in a quaker oats baking contest. Of course, I had to simplify them so much, because it only allows 10 ingredients, that the end result is more than likely bland and commonplace. But maybe I'll get lucky and the people at quaker won't think so.

Our anniversary is wednesday, so I probably won't be updating much the next couple of days other than maybe a short update tomorrow to tell you how much puke i had to clean up.

No comments: