Thursday, October 30, 2008

????!

Something happened to me today that has never happened before.
I went into my supervisor's supervisor's office and address some issues with her that I had had with the way she did things. This is never easy for me to do because I hate confrontation and would prefer just to adjust myself to make things work around someone else if possible. In this situation it wasn't a good idea because 1. the issues stem from her reaction to mistakes I can't seem to stop making no matter how hard I try and 2. we function more like a family than your typical workplace since we're so small. We discussed my issues and she really listened and said she would try to watch what she was saying now that she knew how it affects me. We discussed my job and she asked me what I thought about doing some intakes and updates and letting the person who normally does those take on some food appointments. Many days I feel like I am a glorified CSR and data entry clerk. Primarily what i do is get people in the offie, chit chat while I'm filling out forms, get them their stuff and get them out of there. At the end of the day I enter everything I did into the cdomputer system. She knows this and said that she wanted to ask me about doing other types of appointments because she doesn' think that the position wuld be very fulfilling for me. So, let me re-cap. I had a boss offer to change my job duties so that I could be fulfilled in a job. WHAT?! Anywhere else I worked, the conversation would have been about how I need to improve my performance and possible ways I can do that and end in signing a work contract or an improvement plan. More or less "we think you're a nice person and you want to do well, but you're going to have to improve quickly or we're going to tell you not to let the door hit you in the ass on the way out." There would have been no "I think it would be more fulfilling for you to do something else, so I'm going to change your job duties". So, assuming this happens (i have no reason to belive it wont... although it might be a slow process), I think I love my job again ;)

No comments: